Here are a few simple fall plumbing tips to prepare your home and/or business plumbing for colder weather:
1. Disconnect your outdoor water hose! This will prevent interior pipes connected to the outside water faucet from freezing and possibly bursting.
2. Make sure all outdoor faucets are free of leaks and drips.
Then, turn them completely off and shut off the interior valve for outdoor faucets (usually found in the basement).
4. Protect your pipes! Inspect your Omaha home’s plumbing pipes and make sure they are properly insulated. Exterior and interior pipes throughout your house, basement, and garage are very susceptible to freezing in the wintertime.
5. If you have a sump pump, make sure it’s clean and in good working order. Pour a bucket of water on it and check to see that it turns on and pumps the water out. If it’s not working properly, or if you notice dampness or foul odors, call a Big Birge plumber. Your sump pump in Omaha is at lower risk for freezing if it’s well-maintained and in good condition.
6. Check indoor faucets and plumbing fixtures. Sinks, toilets, and showerheads are examples of possible leaks. Make sure to get them repaired before winter hits.
7. Drain your water heater to prevent sediment buildup and rust.
First, shut off the power and water supply valves. Then, carefully drain the tank by connecting a hose to the drain valve and running it to a nearby drain. This will help lengthen the life of your water heater. It will also enhance its heating efficiency, keeping your showers nice and hot!
Simple plumbing maintenance tasks performed in the fall will save you a lot of time and money down the road. A simple mistake…. like forgetting to disconnect your hose before winter can lead to frozen, cracked, or burst pipes and wreak havoc on your entire home plumbing system (and your wallet!).
We highly recommend you follow these fall plumbing tips from Omaha’s Plumbing Company, Big Birge Plumbing, to help prevent plumbing emergencies this winter. If you need help contact Big Birge Plumbing!
Check out our social media for more tips and tricks!
Are you a new customer?Yes, I am a potential new customer.No, I am a current customer.I'm neither.
Please leave this field empty.
170+ Years of Combined Experience
Licensed, Bonded & Insured
Exceptional Customer Service
Clean, Trustworthy Plumbers
Family Owned & Operated
Install USA-Made Products
We’re Personable & Friendly